Euro bumper rubber clip question

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

CabbageFumes

Euro bumper rubber clip question

Post by CabbageFumes »

The little spring clips that secure the rubber to the steel bumpers used in e12s and e24 are a different part number than the ones used in e28s and e30s, even if they look the same in the diagrams. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I have lots of the e28 version, and I'd prefer to use these if I can on the e12.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Key word, " Euro." For what this is worth I recently tried to order a '79 633 rear bumper rubber part from my local supplier. I was told he was unable to order the Euro part without a valid (original Euro) title number. In fact there was a possibility I may have to supply a photo copy.

If you think that is as absurd as I do, I hope you are right. I asked my supplier (Blunt Tech, Minneapolis) if this was just his situation. He replied his best guess, what he'd been told, it was a U.S. Department of Transportation thing, as in (loosely interpreted by me), " Saving us from ourselves."

My suggestion is to try and order the Euro part to see if it is even possible. I hope it is, and if it is, other parts will be available without the title monkey business. After that, hoping you will post what you've learned for the other two of us in the world fooling around with E12, E24 Euro parts.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

I have a source in germany that can send me anything I want, I know the issue of ordering EU market parts is nearly impossible now. My main concern was the fact that I have some bumpers coming, and my guy wanted to know if I wanted to order the clips as well. I can't see a difference on the fiche from the e28 part, but it's a different part number. I have plenty of the later clip, so I don't want a redundant parts order.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

They are not the same. They are smaller which makes sense since the strips are thinner than the E28 ones. Since I have some of each at home, perhaps I can get a couple together for a photo.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

wkohler wrote:They are not the same. They are smaller which makes sense since the strips are thinner than the E28 ones. Since I have some of each at home, perhaps I can get a couple together for a photo.
That would be helpful.
The 2002 ones look smaller, I wonder if those would work...
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Image by Christopher Kohler, on Flickr

E12 on the left, E28 on the right. Penny in the middle.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

Thanks Chris. I wonder, how similar are they to e21 clips? They look just like them.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Hey CabbageFumes - are you able to share your source? I'm about to start collecting the parts for a euro bumper conversion on my e12.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Need some bumpers? I am well stocked. Lol.
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Chris K - is that tongue in cheek or do you have some to sell?

thanks,

Jon
philipj

Post by philipj »

I will take some rubber strips for the M535i spoiler, thank you.. :lol: Still surprised that no one has reproduced them, as well as the rear spoilers...
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

There isn't really a market for them. Someone made a fiberglass mold of the rear spoiler.
philipj

Post by philipj »

Any idea who made the mold?