Ordering replacement springs - what else to get while doing?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Brian Smith

Ordering replacement springs - what else to get while doing?

Post by Brian Smith »

I chickened out, for now, from making some coilover spring suspension hardware, and am going to install some Bilstein sports and ST springs. When the springs are out and I've got things apart, what else will I probably find that needs replacement in there?
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

That's the same setup I did in my E12 last year and I am very pleased with it.

I decided to get some other major stuff done at the same time since the suspension would be out. I ordered new strut mounts for all four corners along with all new hardware, etc. Beware, the front mounts are pricey... over $100/ea.
1981 528i
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

By the way, you're lucky if you actually found all new Bilstein Sports. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rear ones from? They were NLA when I bought them in Dec. 2007, but I scored a set from Bavarian Auto off a tip from Eddie in TO.
1981 528i
Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith »

JoshInAtlanta wrote:By the way, you're lucky if you actually found all new Bilstein Sports. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rear ones from? They were NLA when I bought them in Dec. 2007, but I scored a set from Bavarian Auto off a tip from Eddie in TO.
Yup. BavAuto was the source, but they were custom ordered.
Thanks for the reply and info.
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Brian Smith wrote:
JoshInAtlanta wrote:By the way, you're lucky if you actually found all new Bilstein Sports. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rear ones from? They were NLA when I bought them in Dec. 2007, but I scored a set from Bavarian Auto off a tip from Eddie in TO.
Yup. BavAuto was the source, but they were custom ordered.
Thanks for the reply and info.
Wow, good to know they can still help out! By the way, I came to the conclusion to the strut mounts based on the condition of my front setup. They were cracking and generally worn out. At the time, the car was 27 years old with 150k miles... so I figure they led a good life.
1981 528i
T.Hanson

What to get.

Post by T.Hanson »

You can use realoem.com to see the parts lists. If you have the time, it's less money to inspect the parts before you haul off and buy replacements.
Eddie in TO

Post by Eddie in TO »

JoshInAtlanta wrote:By the way, I came to the conclusion to the strut mounts based on the condition of my front setup. They were cracking and generally worn out. At the time, the car was 27 years old with 150k miles... so I figure they led a good life.
Yes, Josh suggested that I change out the the upper strut mount bearings and the spring pads (front and rear) too while I updated the suspension (once more. :) )

That was a good call Josh...Thanks man!
Eddie Ribeiro
5erholic
1980 528i with a BMW Motorsport heart

JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Eddie in TO wrote:
JoshInAtlanta wrote:By the way, I came to the conclusion to the strut mounts based on the condition of my front setup. They were cracking and generally worn out. At the time, the car was 27 years old with 150k miles... so I figure they led a good life.
Yes, Josh suggested that I change out the the upper strut mount bearings and the spring pads (front and rear) too while I updated the suspension (once more. :) )

That was a good call Josh...Thanks man!
No problem... I'd hate to do that job twice for nothing!
1981 528i