A/c not cold

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

anthony

A/c not cold

Post by anthony »

I have read the A/C FAQ. I followed the instructions of 15 oz EZChill. Before adding the low pressure was 10 psi. After it was up to 35psi. I could still add another 10 psi and still be in the normal range. I don't want to add more just to have to take it out. It is cool, but it is not cutting it on a warm day. The system was converted to r134a a couple of years ago. The FAQs talk about removing and then adding refrigerant, but not about system failures. The A/C guy wants $100 just to look at it. It is better for me to replace parts. The hard part appears to removing the stuff with the vacuum pump. Is there a typical part that fails? I know I have a leak but it is holding pressure in the normal range.
Anthony
1980 528i 3.5 M30B35 motronic 1.3
JoshInAtlanta

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Do you have access to a thermometer to check what the actually temp is at the vents?

I really hate A/C work.
1981 528i
pmaronoff

Post by pmaronoff »

Get under car and check the A/C belt. My A/C stopped working and I found the belt was loose.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Be careful. I don't know what the pressure temp chart for EZ chill is, but overcharging will make it warmer, not cooler. On 12 or 134a, you probably don't want much more than about 30PSI, 35 might already be too high. If you're using a blend on top of 134a, no telling what the pressure should be, all you can do is stick a pocket thermometer in there and stop when it starts warming up. And charge at ~1500 RPM, not idle.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
anthony

Hate A/c

Post by anthony »

I did not do anything more. 1. The compressor seized at least think, rpm's dropped so I kept it off. 2. Parked the car then out of the valve in the back of the compressor it blew for maybe 10 to 20 seconds. Oil dripped out as part of the processes. I checked the low pressure about 25 psi. Its working now kind the way it was before. Outside temp 82F blowing 70F. I googled a/c there is so much out there and its all bad, I mean work. In there I priced compressors so the fact that it is working blew me away. I have no idea what I'm doing next, so I'll leave it alone.
Anthony
1980 528i 3.5 M30B35 motronic 1.3
John in Simi Valley
Site Admin

AC Compressor Source

Post by John in Simi Valley »

Anthony,
Sherman turned me on to an AC Remanufacturing house in Texas. (Summer in Texas = must have AC).

Check <a href="http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewto ... =2362#2362"> THIS LINK </a> for more info.

Bottom line, a reman compressor is $159 + about $15 shipping.

FYI, Frigiking of Simi Valley checked the compressor for function (on-off, compressing) did the high pressure flourescent test (black-lite) of my compressor in the car AND a second unit that I got from Pierre for NO CHARGE. If your guy is charging $100 "just to look at it", he should at lease credit the same for actual repairs.

Good Luck
John Savage
1980 528i 5-Speed
FirstFives COTM Editor