rich adjustment???

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

cpalmer

rich adjustment???

Post by cpalmer »

So,

I've figured out I am running too rich. When I start her, can smell gas. When I turn her off, can smell gas. She dips down to 8 after reving and levels off at 1,000 rpm after a few seconds.

Also, when I pump the breaks, rpm jumps.

I read Peters bit on it and my Chilton actually shows the adjustment screw under the AFM, (what a shocker! It's good for something!), I am just wondering where you guys think I should start.

Would one full turn sound right? Counter clockwise?

She runs good when it's flat, but I tell ya', hills are killing me.

Not sure what it is, but seems to me on my prior E-12's, the rpm needles would go up and down much faster.

Thinking of yanking my smog too.

Cheers,

Cp

78' 530i
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

If you have L jet, my limited experience with the AFM has it that little screw underneath seldom needs to be adjusted. Not to say it's untouchable, but I've read the adjusting is best done hooked up to tech equipment.

Do make sure the gas smell isn't coming from a leaky fuel line, injector, etc.

Fuel pressure regulators usually fail rich. The little barrel deal on the front of the fuel rail to the injectors. Pull the vacuum line on top, no fuel should come out.

As usual, check all grounds, brown wire connections, braided straps everywhere. Check all vacuum lines, tubes, dipstick, no leaks.

Do the timing FAQ, then the throttle body FAQ. Both matter as step one in a tune up.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Being as you have a 530i, that adjustment screw does do something, but only at idle. 528is are kind of self correcting with the O2 sensor, but 530s just use the base inputs without any correction. Anyway, on to adjusting it, when I had L-jet basic on a Bav, I would screw it in as much as I could and still have it run right. That probably isn't the best thing for smog, but FI wasn't legal on it anyway, LOL. However don't expect that adjustment to have any effect on performance or economy at speed. If it's stock, timing is always the first thing to check, the old points and condenser tend to not be long lasting and get out of adjustment quickly.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
cpalmer

Post by cpalmer »

thanks guys.

The timing is on and I put on pertronix a couple months ago. It runs good, just seems a little rich.

Was hoping a half turn or turn would do something.

Cheers