Air Flow Meter

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

adika

Air Flow Meter

Post by adika »

Hello everyone, is there a way to get rid of the air flow meter and put something that will work better. I believe its the reason the car is having some idle issues and I cant seem to adjust it.

Thanks
Mike W.

Re: Air Flow Meter

Post by Mike W. »

Well, MAFs are better but I've never heard of software to integrate them to L jet. Even on E28s with chips they tend to be cranky. AFMs can wear, but are generally repairable and really do pretty well.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
keehn

Post by keehn »

Check to make sure your cold air valve is working properly. It might be as simple as needing a cleaning. The idle air screw on the air flow meter is meant for fine-tuning, not to be a substitute for the cold air valve.

On my car, my cold air valve is located under the intake manifold. You will need to bleed out enough coolant (which will be a lot) to avoid a mess when removing.

Mike
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Ive seen on e28goodies.com an "air flow meter delete pipe/temp sensor", i have no idea how it works or if it works, but might be worth checking out.