Supporting the Engine for Oil Pan Removal

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

528i-1981

Supporting the Engine for Oil Pan Removal

Post by 528i-1981 »

I have a leak which is either at the back of the oil pan or the main seal.

Archives X from this board (2001) describe using 2x4s or a pipe across the shock towers to support the engine with chains so that the subframe can be lowered. In other Archives, there is discussion of lowering the subframe an inch or so to remove the sway bar and also supporting the engine to earn some inches to get a gasket into position. A hoist will involve taking the hood off, which is a PITA.

Where could/should I attach a chain to the engine when using a transverse support? The shock towers are fairly far aft in the engine bay. Attaching chain forward of the support will urge the support to slide forward.

Also, has anyone used one of these engine supports? Harbor Freight has a similar version.

Danke,
Eric
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
Robert Bondi

Re: Supporting the Engine for Oil Pan Removal

Post by Robert Bondi »

I've done this job from the bottom. You don't need to remove the subframe. You do want to remove the front sway bar and you'll
also want to loosen/remove the nuts on the motor mounts so you can jack the motor up a little bit - be aware of top of bellhousing clearance to the drive shaft tunnel. Have an extra jack
and a lot of wood for shimming around. A little bit of careful jacking at the motor mounts and maybe on the bell housing close to the block is all you need....we're talking about not more than maybe an inch or less of jacking. This little bit is what you need to help clear the pan of the oil pump and slide it out.

I've done this both in the garage and in a junk yard once - both times aimed at oil pump removal. In the junk yard, it wasn't even a jack, but I believe just a little bit of crowbar action on the motor mount from the exhaust side - be very careful....jack approach is safer.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Thank you Robert - FYI, you were one of the posters in 2001 saying that your father had replaced the oil pump from under the car. Jacking from underneath seems preferable.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
Robert Bondi

Post by Robert Bondi »

528i-1981 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:56 am Thank you Robert - FYI, you were one of the posters in 2001 saying that your father had replaced the oil pump from under the car. Jacking from underneath seems preferable.
Oh yeah, a multigenerational effort here. :-) I did that job myself around 2013/2014 or so.

BTW, the jack from the bottom strategy is useful for other jobs too, including motor mount replacement and
subframe removal. Order of operations and jack point might change, but same basic idea. Aluminum pan itself is strong
enough for jacking, just make sure you spread the force and reduce the pressure in a nice flat spot with a nice 2x4 or similar.

Robert
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528