Shifter overhaul?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

hobbes

Shifter overhaul?

Post by hobbes »

Hi everyone.

I’m not a mechanic, so please bare with me. I recently purchased a 5 speed 1980 BMW 528i. It’s having problems shifting into second gear. It’s not bad, but it’s annoying. I’ve been told that the 2nd gear detent is a little worn. I’ve also been told it might be the bushing between shift lever parts Or/and the Bushing selector rod to lower shift lever. And it might be easy just to start with a shifter overhaul.

However there are no shifter kits available except Ireland engineering makes a 4 speed short shifter kit they said maaaybe could work, but it’s months away from coming in stock. I’ve also been told that there were changes to my car in late 79 that makes ordering parts very specific to when my car was made.

I’m trying to keep my costs down here and figure out my plan. Are there any shift kits out there that I’ve not seen? Otherwise do I just have a mechanic take off my exhaust and see what parts needs to be replaced and go from there?

Thanks!
PatinaBeforePolish

Re: Shifter overhaul?

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Hi Hobbes,

Congrats on the new-to-you e12 and welcome to firstfives!

It sounds like what you're experiencing is a worn 2nd gear syncro. It's not uncommon and not the end of the world unless it gets very, very worn. I think you would experience sloppy shifting in all gears if there were considerable wear in the bushings and linkage. Here's where I would start:

1. Replace the trans fluid with Redline MTL. Redline lubricants are top notch and recommended by BMW guru Mike Miller in his maintenance guides. If prior maintenance is unknown, I would change it again after 5 to 10k miles, then every 30k miles.
2. Thoroughly flush the brake fluid and bleed the slave cylinder as well as the brakes. Brake fluid attracts moisture and I change mine every year regardless of mileage.
3. Inspect the condition of the slave cylinder and line. I would replace it if looks crusty and old.
4. Inspect the transmission support bushing and replace it if it looks anything but pristine. They're pretty cheap and easy to replace.
5. Slow down the shift to 2nd when the car's cold, double clutching is a good habit.
6. Bookmark RealOEM.com, it's a very good reference. Prices are outdated and sometimes parts that show as available are not. There's no difference in parts for your late 79 production 1980 model year car.
7. The shifter bushings and gear selector rod with linkage stock parts are available and could improve the feel. A thorough inspection is recommended. I don't think the exhaust has to come off for any of this.
8. Short shifter kits are available. I used AutoSolutions for mine. Ron is great to work with and will put together what you want - threaded or push on knob, shifter throw and offers a triangulated option for a stiffer mounting setup. Expect to spend about $400 to $500 for the kit.
9. Your car is 43 years old. If prior maintenance is unknown, change every fluid and filter, the fuel lines by the gas tank, plugs and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Fresh pads, rotors and an alignment are always nice. Your car will thank you for it.

Cheers
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Thank you so much for this. Really wonderful.

She was owned by a woman and garaged her whole life and only driven in the summers in Washington. She’s in immaculate condition and now resides with my in California. She still has all her original engine hoses, paint, interior, Etc… she’s all original and they seem to be in great condition. There is no rust and everything, if you can imagine it, is museum quality. Her paper work, isn’t very good however. She did sit for 7 years after the owner died (garaged) and her oil was changed once 2 years ago. Her fluids look great considering. There seems to be no scum or buildup and She still drives great, minus the 2nd gear, and I need to change all her fluids as soon as I can. I’ll touch base with Ron. Thank you again.
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Welcome to the board, Hobbes. Don't disagree with anything Patina wrote here - all good stuff. I also bought the Auto Solutions short shifter and am planning to install that this winter. Ron is great to work with.

Jon, did you manage to get your short shifter installed yet? I will remove the exhaust because I'm adding in an aftermarket catalytic converter (deleted by PO). I think having the exhaust off will make the job a lot easier, especially without a lift.
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Yes, I had it done last year, turned out great. I've driven about 2k miles and no problems. Not a Miata-like short throw but definitely lessens the travel vs. the original. Dropping the exhaust will help for sure.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck