No start procedure?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

No start procedure?

Post by canada karl »

What's the best procedure to track down a 'no start' issue? I imagine checking for spark first. Check for fuel flow? What is the best way to check if it's the 'combo relay'?. If this has been covered before is there a link I could go to? It's a few degrees below zero here. Yesterday I went to start the car and it fired right up. I should have let it warm up like I usually do before driving away . This time with the motor still cold I shifted into Reverse and the car stalled out. Tried to restart but just got cranking but it did not fire up. Wondering if I flooded the motor with too much gas? I 'did not' pump the gas pedal at all. I waited till the next day to try starting the car again but just got cranking but no start. Is there a procedure to clear a fuel injection motor if you believe it's been flooded. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Re: No start procedure?

Post by Mike W. »

To clear a flooded L jet engine, unplug the ECU. As long as the ignition still works, it'll fire up, burn off the fuel present and in the process warm up the plugs and engine just a little bit making starting easier.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
canada karl

Re: No start procedure?

Post by canada karl »

Thanks Mike. I'll give it a try when the temperature improves here.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car