Windowsill rubber replacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Lock

Windowsill rubber replacement

Post by Lock »

Does anyone know how to remove the door outside windowsill chrome and replace the rubber weather-stripping for the doors? Mine has disintegrated and rain is getting in the doors so bought some new rubbers.

Before I go and take the door apart wanted to see if it 'just pops off' from outside, or if there's screws/bolts that are only accessible from inside. RealOEM doesn't really show how it's all secured together.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
HB528i

Re: Windowsill rubber replacement

Post by HB528i »

You have to pry them up gently starting at the rear edge, I have used a plastic trim tool, even tapping upwards with a mallet.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

That too is what I recall. I'm fond of plastic putty knifes and bondo spreaders, sometimes with a real putty knife inbetween once it gets started. Plastic is good for stuff like that in general, but bondo spreaders are a little softer and less likely to damage things. Due to a carpentry faux pas one time I needed a bunch to put under wood clamps. Cue a 20 pack from the store everyone loves to hate but go to, HF. I've been working on them for over a decade now but might need more soon.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Lock

Post by Lock »

Thank you both. I started tugging on it but it felt 50/50 like it was either coming off, or about to break something that's NLA. The plastic trim tool/knives is a great idea. I have a bunch of plastic tint applicators, I'll give that a shot.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control
Lock

Post by Lock »

Update to this - I finally worked on this on last weekend. I found you don't need to remove the chrome at all. Lower the glass all the way and look in with a flashlight. The outside weatherstripping sits in clips underneath the chrome, and you can 'just' pull the old stuff out with pliers, then with screwdrivers and lots of thumb-pushing convince the new rubber to go in but be extremely careful of the chrome trim as it dents easy. The rubber has a groove that matches the clips, so once you push down far enough, it locks in place.

Overall fairly easy and recommend it if you have hardened rubbers because the insides of my doors were getting moisture in there. This was just the front doors though and I adjusted my windows so the glass sinks all the way into to the door (so that I can rest my arm on the sill).

The back windows are probably a much bigger pain because the glass doesn't go all the way down. You probably have to take the glass out entirely to replace it, so I'm skipping them for now and they're in good condition anyway.