Ohmmeter readings at Combo relay

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Ohmmeter readings at Combo relay

Post by canada karl »

Hey Mike Ignition power to 88y and 86c YES Ign turned on to start /crank at 86a (blk/yl wire) NO GRD @ 85 YES Continuity between 86b and 88a with AFM flap open....got an ohmmeter reading of 129.5 ??? The combo relay was checked out by an electrician friend and it's in excellent shape. Strange thing is I'm not getting spark to the plugs now.....but I'm getting spark to the points. Will change out the condenser tomorow Can't think what else would cause no spark to plugs as cap condenser points rotor are new. I'm really going down the rabbit hole here. I'm thinking of swapping in a spare ECU to see if that helps. Any thoughts?
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Re: Ohmmeter readings at Combo relay

Post by Mike W. »

Ignition and FI are completely different systems. Well, FI does get an input from ignition so it can count revolutions and inject for each one, but beyond that, no.

Had a problem on my 528i long ago, bad FPR and it could flood in cold weather. So bad one day it wouldn't start. I unplugged the ECU and turned the key. It ran briefly and burned off what fuel was left in the cylinders. Plugged it back in and it started right up, with now warm plugs etc. But it ran for I dunno, 5-10 seconds just off what had flooded in there, with the ECU disconnected.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter