Starter Bosch sr441x

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

HB528i

Re: Starter Bosch sr441x

Post by HB528i »

Yes, that is correct. The ceramic ballast resistor drops the voltage to 9V for the coil when using the original black coil which needs 0.9 ohms of resistance. The replacement for the black coil was silver with a green or red label or a red coil. When using the red coil you need to follow the instructions on the coil and use a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor or the coil could overheat, it has happened to me on a 2002, and the motor will die. FCP Euro has them.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/merced ... escription

If use the blue coil it is internally resisted and does not need a ballast resistor.
Last edited by HB528i on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frederich

Post by Frederich »

So, I determined that: I have a 0.9 ohm ballast resistor, I have red top coil and just installed sr 441 x starter to replace my old sr 995x starter. My wiring of starter is wire from 6 oclock on starter to coil ( - ) position. Do I need a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor now. Car starts and runs but have not driven but a trip to town.
If I change nothing what is consequence ?
One option I have read is to go blue coil a no ballast resistor ???
Don’t mean to keep dragging this out but one thing leads to another.
Thanks for all the help !
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

Frederich wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:30 pm So, I determined that: I have a 0.9 ohm ballast resistor, I have red top coil and just installed sr 441 x starter to replace my old sr 995x starter. My wiring of starter is wire from 6 oclock on starter to coil ( - ) position. Do I need a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor now. Car starts and runs but have not driven but a trip to town.
If I change nothing what is consequence ?
One option I have read is to go blue coil a no ballast resistor ???
Don’t mean to keep dragging this out but one thing leads to another.
Thanks for all the help !
Let’s start over, you keep changing your descriptions:

1. Do you have a red coil or a coil with a red top? I assume you have a red coil. The original coil was black with a brown top.
2. As I stated earlier, the red coil NEEDS a 1.8 ohm resistor, I gave you a link.
3. Using the 0.9 ohm resistor will overheat the coil and it will cut out causing motor to die, it happened to me on the freeway. After cooling off it will work again, this is not a good way to treat your car.
4. Now you are stating that you have run a wire from starter at 6:00 to coil (-) terminal? I think you are confused, only the single black wire from ignition switch goes to the 6:00 terminal. Green wire from ignition switch and fuse block goes directly to your resistor, black/red wire exiting resistor goes to (+) terminal on coil.
5. If you use a blue coil you would remove the resistor. A new resistor is much cheaper than a new coil, just buy the resistor.
Frederich

Post by Frederich »

My coil, that I referred to as red, might actually be the original coil , which you described as black w/ brown top. It is definitely not a red body. I referred to it as red because top was reddish, orangeish but it is more brown as you have enlightened me.
The ignition wire runs from 6 oclock on solenoid to ( - ) on coil.
Green wire from fuse box to ballast resistor. Ballast resistor is 0.9 ohms

Sorry for confusing you and wasting your time , but I was confused.
Do I need a different ballast resistor ?
Thanks, again.
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

Frederich wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:51 am My coil, that I referred to as red, might actually be the original coil , which you described as black w/ brown top. It is definitely not a red body. I referred to it as red because top was reddish, orangeish but it is more brown as you have enlightened me.
The ignition wire runs from 6 oclock on solenoid to ( - ) on coil.
Green wire from fuse box to ballast resistor. Ballast resistor is 0.9 ohms

Sorry for confusing you and wasting your time , but I was confused.
Do I need a different ballast resistor ?
Thanks, again.
No worries, I really want to help. You have the original coil and ballast so all is good there. Where you are confusing me is “ignition wire runs from 6 o’clock on solenoid to (-) on coil.” There should be no wire running from solenoid to coil. Your ignition switch wire connects to solenoid at 6 o’clock which is what you have done, that is what spins the starter, it does not go to the coil. Power to the coil comes from the green wire to ballast. From ballast to coil terminal (+) is a black/red wire. The negative (-) terminal on coil supplies current to your tach which is black. There is no way that power to coil is on (-) terminal, just check again as there are several wires there that are black or black/red.
Frederich

Post by Frederich »

Right you are. I see that the wire from 6 oclock on solenoid leads to a confluence of wire loom w / other wires that branch out to alternator …
The coil ( - ) connects to distributor; coil (+ ) connects to ballast resistor, ballast resistor other connection is green wire running to fuse box.
Ballast resistor is 0.9 ohms.
Coil is black body and I guess brown not red top
Do I need different ballast resistor now that I have substituted sr441x starter for the sr995 x starter.
I’ve seen references to needing 1.8 ohm ballast resistor ….
Thanks for sticking w/ me.
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

You are good with current coil and resistor, the starter is not part of the equation.
Frederich

Post by Frederich »

HB528i :
Thanks so much for your time and helping me understand the electrical set up and basics. Much appreciated.