Help?-Wiring Foglights

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

dsw99a

Help?-Wiring Foglights

Post by dsw99a »

Hello folks! My query is im looking to add foglights to my 1978 530i. Ive done some research and see from the manual there seems to be some "pre-wiring" done to accommodate them. I know i need to add a relay, there is a place in the fuse box for it. I have a few odd relays that fit i cant tell which one is 8 amps though? What correct (color) of relay is recommended?

Next and most challenging is- i think there should be wiring under the dash for the fogs; I have discerned that i need to find a Yellow/white, a
Green/violet, and a ground (brown) wire(s). Should/would the wires be pre-bundled together or should i just pull from wherever i can find the correct color wire? Am i correct in using the Yellow/violet and Yellow/brown wire below the fuse box- in engine bay to bring wires from the actual foglights, to the fuse box?

Thanks in advance.

Derek
Robert Bondi

Re: Help?-Wiring Foglights

Post by Robert Bondi »

I've done this before on a 77 530i. Most of the wiring is already there for you.

1. Add fuses and relay in the fuse box according to the labels. Relay is just another
30A unit like the others. Use the same type of relay that you'd use for the high and low beams.
2. There should be an unused fully insulated pair of terminals in the corner by the battery. You'll
bring +12V wiring from the lights to here.
3. There's already a pigtail under the dash. No extra wiring on this end - just need the dash switch.
Look for a neat bundle around the heater water valve and possibly near the heat-A/C vent knob.

Doing this from memory, so I'd have to check the manual on the wire colors, but it sounds like
you know the colors you're looking for.
Robert
77 530i
77 Euro 528
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Thanks Robert. Yes i did finally get it all hooked up. The trouble was locating the pre-bundled wiring. I couldnt see them without pulling the gauge cluster out. And BAM rigth there! Pretty straightforward after that. I used a 10 amp blue fuse in the fusebox, i kept blowing the 8amp white ones? Now im on to the next battle- Sunroof! :roll:
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

dsw99a wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:34 pm Thanks Robert. Yes i did finally get it all hooked up. The trouble was locating the pre-bundled wiring. I couldnt see them without pulling the gauge cluster out. And BAM rigth there! Pretty straightforward after that. I used a 10 amp blue fuse in the fusebox, i kept blowing the 8amp white ones? Now im on to the next battle- Sunroof! :roll:
Careful, blue fuse is 25 amp, that's too much.. Red is 16 and white 8.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

thanks Mike, i will check on the fuses when i get home.