Fan clutch

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

cpalmer

Post by cpalmer »

Your temp gauge is different than mine. I can't remember, but isn't your car a 78', or it is a 77'? Mine has 3 white lines and split into quarters, not thirds.

Once again, I THINK I remember reading that these cars are suppose to run hot. There was a website server change last year and many older post sorta disappeared with that change....Not half as much info through the google search....hopefully as time goes on, they fill up again.

GripGreg-where do yours run? From what I have seen, even on super clean, low mileage E-12sthe needle stays straight up in the middle.

This goes against what I FEEL should be correct and normal which would be at 1/3 or 1/4 mark.

As long as I don't see it climbing to the 3/4 mark....

Now I am wondering where everyone's temp gauges are sitting at idle after a long run. I think they just run HOT.....Or, would like to know where it lies after the E28 upgrade.

Architect- Figured something like that. Your patience and persistence and attention to detail show.

Look forward to what your new fan clutch does. I did a quick search and I agree with the "ouch".....I'm going to clean mine and flush my system this weekend.

CHeers
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Bummer you ordered a new clutch since I have a brand new one sitting here I can't use. Lemforder, too.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Cpalmer,

While I am not sure what our temp gauges represent in degrees, I do think that I know what the normal operating temperature is for our cars. I think.

BMW designed the engine to run at 80 degrees Celsius. I believe that this is the temperature setting of the stock thermostat. When the engine reaches this temperature, the thermostat opens and cools the it. Of course, no engine can run at the exact same temperature all the time, but the range should be around this.

I am also assuming that the temp gauge is supposed to run in the middle. In my case, anywhere between the two white lines should be normal. I guess that I could pull out the temp sensor and check this to know for sure....hmmm....that would be interesting.

BTW, I do not think that our cars are supposed to run hot. They are supposed to run at the design operating temperature. What I have heard is that the are prone to running hot...especially with a thermo-reactor system.
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
cpalmer

Post by cpalmer »

"Prone" is a good word.

I'm going to post one more time on this next week once I do my flush and see what happens. It has been running a little hotter than usual.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Blaise
ckholer(Chris) has a fan clutch he says he can't use. Get in touch,,,,Greg
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Greg....I bought it from him earlier this morning :D

I am looking forward to installing it and putting this issue to bed.
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I guess I had cpalmer on my brain; I meant wkholer.
My temp guage runs at a half needle on the cool side of center. Sometimes it gets too 3/4 toward the red, with the a/c on in traffic, which is rare these days, which is too hot/dangerous for me. I think I'll drain the block & add Water Wetter.
But, new issue; yesterday, my heater knob on the left didn't go past where it'll turn off the cool air fan. Cool air at night as a lil much so, I turned the right knob to heater to compensate. Now a lil warm air neutralizes the cool air. Gotta get that fixed. Anyone had this issue?
It points to 9 o'clock. Is that "cold"? But it's blocked by some malfunction when it gets to 5 o'clock. It doesn't reach "off" or whatever. Greg