I'm transplanting a great running Metric Mechanic Hiflow Sport ST 3500 into my '81. Someone told me recently that I should dump the Jetronic and do a full Motronic conversion now. This seems daunting. Is it doable? Worth it?
Advice will be well received.
Thanks in advance.
L-jet to Motronic on '81 B32?
L-jet to Motronic on '81 B32?
Charles Calhoun
'81 528i/535i Ascotgrau/Red, Euro hotrod
'89 e30 M3, Diamondschwartz/Black
'81 528i/535i Ascotgrau/Red, Euro hotrod
'89 e30 M3, Diamondschwartz/Black
The current school of thought seems to be to go to Motronic 1.1/1.3 off an E34 era car if you're going that route. The advantages are a better idle, better economy, cleaner emissions and the ability to do it anytime, no special flywheel is required. The disadvantage is a (slightly) custom wiring harness is required.
The advantage of Motronic 1.0a off an E28 535 over L jet is better idle control, better economy and cleaner emissions. A stock E28 motronic harness will work. Disadvantage is the need for a motronic flywheel.
If it was my car I'd just do the engine now, see if I liked it and was satisfied and go from there without any engine management upgrade now.
The advantage of Motronic 1.0a off an E28 535 over L jet is better idle control, better economy and cleaner emissions. A stock E28 motronic harness will work. Disadvantage is the need for a motronic flywheel.
If it was my car I'd just do the engine now, see if I liked it and was satisfied and go from there without any engine management upgrade now.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
Thanks Mike. Just the info I needed. I'm leaning towards your suggestion to stay put for a while after I swap the motor. I've got a long list of changes/upgrades so if it's easiest enough to do later I'll keep it as a down the road consideration.
Charles Calhoun
'81 528i/535i Ascotgrau/Red, Euro hotrod
'89 e30 M3, Diamondschwartz/Black
'81 528i/535i Ascotgrau/Red, Euro hotrod
'89 e30 M3, Diamondschwartz/Black
Almost forgot, that engine may have a motronic cam and need the adapter/repair nut to use a conventional distributor, no big deal, about $35 the last I knew.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.