Hello
I have been perusing the M30b35 swap FAQ page for a long time and I am finding a couple pieces of information that are either not quite well presented or does not have information available.
I am currently swapping a 91 m30b35 into my 77 530I after my transmission and engine have both mysteriously died. I have already rebuilt the M30b35 along with adding a turbo for some extra power and sourcing a G265 transmission to pair it with.
one foremost question and concern. now that I am about to swap it and I am pulling the engine bay apart, is brake booster clearance a concern? Has anyone had any fitment concerns with the stock brake booster, and if so, how did you resolve it?
I’m really hoping I don’t need to get a different booster but if it turns out I need to, so be it.
Thanks so much!
-Justin
M30b35 swap compatibility
Re: M30b35 swap compatibility
I have not done it, but back when B34 swaps were in vogue I recall using an E21 booster was popular as it gave the required clearance. B34 and B35 intakes are very similar in shape, but I don't know if they are identical or not, aside from the intake port shape. But search a bit, like I said I have not done it myself.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
-
Theotherotter
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 6:16 pm
Re: M30b35 swap compatibility
I have a '78 with a B35/G265 swap in it. Late last year I found the forum ID of the prior owner who did the swap and a bunch of other work on it and a bunch of posts that filled in my knowledge of the car's background. In one of them, he said "One more thing that I mentioned - make sure you have the shorter brake booster. The longer one will interfere with the intake manifold." I'm assuming he meant the E21 booster.Beanman69 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 9:32 pm Hello
I have been perusing the M30b35 swap FAQ page for a long time and I am finding a couple pieces of information that are either not quite well presented or does not have information available.
I am currently swapping a 91 m30b35 into my 77 530I after my transmission and engine have both mysteriously died. I have already rebuilt the M30b35 along with adding a turbo for some extra power and sourcing a G265 transmission to pair it with.
one foremost question and concern. now that I am about to swap it and I am pulling the engine bay apart, is brake booster clearance a concern? Has anyone had any fitment concerns with the stock brake booster, and if so, how did you resolve it?
I’m really hoping I don’t need to get a different booster but if it turns out I need to, so be it.
Thanks so much!
-Justin