I heard a popping and then a steady tic - tic - tic that changed with speed yesterday. I brought the car back and ran the car with the rear wheels off the ground. Only one side of the open differential spins, the other just sits there. Is this a bad diff? I thought both sides should spin unless one is stuck. If it is a bad diff, how much of a slug will it be if I install a 3.07 LSD? Or how awful woth a 3.91 be?
...tom
81 528i
spinning a differential
spinning a differential
...tom
and now an '80 528i, the 7th and last in the series
1981 528i, no. 6 in a series... only 270 k miles
and now an '80 528i, the 7th and last in the series
1981 528i, no. 6 in a series... only 270 k miles
I doubt the diff is your problem, normally both wheels will spin, and I suppose a bearing could be going, but it generally doesn't take much to stop one either. It could be a CV joint or maybe even a wheel bearing, but none of those things including the diff fail very often.
As to how it would be with a different ratio, I don't think the 3.07 would be too bad, except 5th would be useless in town, and performance would be down somewhat all thru the ranges, a 3.91 would have you skipping gears a lot and might get a little buzzy, but I put well over 100K on both a Bav and and E12 with 4 speeds and it wouldn't be nearly that bad. Do remember your speedo will be off with either as it's assuming a 3.45 diff.
As to how it would be with a different ratio, I don't think the 3.07 would be too bad, except 5th would be useless in town, and performance would be down somewhat all thru the ranges, a 3.91 would have you skipping gears a lot and might get a little buzzy, but I put well over 100K on both a Bav and and E12 with 4 speeds and it wouldn't be nearly that bad. Do remember your speedo will be off with either as it's assuming a 3.45 diff.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
-
Karl in KS
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:12 am
- Location: Wichita, KS