I am working on a 78 Euro. After prolonged attempts to start a flooded engine, smoke poured out the ignition switch. Has anyone had smoke from the switch? What caused it?
Would a different computer box have caused this? I had tried switching computer boxes on this car to test whether the box was causing the flooding problem.
D.
Ignition switch smoke
Never let the smoke out of wiring, I've seen replacement smoke for English cars, but never German.

On a more serious note, no, a different ECU would not overload your ignition switch. Either the switch is on it's last legs or there is a short somewhere causing excessive current draw. I've cranked BMWs for a long time without switch damage so I don't think that would be the problem.
To clear flooding in an injected engine, unplug the ECU, with the ignition off, and try to start it. You will still have spark, but no more fuel will be injected. It should fire briefly, burn off what fuel is in there, then die. Then plug the ECU back in and you should be good to go.

On a more serious note, no, a different ECU would not overload your ignition switch. Either the switch is on it's last legs or there is a short somewhere causing excessive current draw. I've cranked BMWs for a long time without switch damage so I don't think that would be the problem.
To clear flooding in an injected engine, unplug the ECU, with the ignition off, and try to start it. You will still have spark, but no more fuel will be injected. It should fire briefly, burn off what fuel is in there, then die. Then plug the ECU back in and you should be good to go.
Mike W.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
02 525ita. Wife's, aka grocery getter
02 530i. New to the fleet, 3 pedals.
08 Toyota 4Runner. 4WD vacationmobile. No enthusiasm, but it didn't leave me stranded or use any oil. Reserving judgement for now.
-
Bob in San Jose
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 6:36 pm
- Location: San Jose, California